Monday, June 1, 2009

Taste the Mountains!

Minhas Brewery seems to be a Wisconsin-centric brewery that is just getting into the Minneapolis market.  They are the brewery that took over brewing Rhinelander and have been brewing Huber and other local 'grandpa' beers since 1845, making them the second oldest brewery in America behind Yuengling.

I was interested to see their "craft" offerings hitting the market (so far only Lazy Mutt) since I drank cup upon cup of Berghoff out of the keg in college.  The brew that I HAD to try first was Mountian Crest.  It was $8.99/case.  There is no reason to pass this up.

Here's the deal.  I've had craft-brewed lagers and pilsners but most craft breweries don't make them because they're not as sexy as a triple-hopped IPA or a chocolate stout or something.  Victory makes an impressive pilsner, for example.  What separates them from Mountain Crest is the nuance.  Victory gives you a good hint of honey, Goose Island, a grassy flavor, etc.  Minhas gives us a typical lager in a can and slaps a craft brewery logo on the box.

This is totally cool with me.  $9 a case.  No other beer this cheap lets me drink it without destryoing my insides for the next day.  So something has to be said about the quality of ingredients.  I'm happy with the results, if not the process - for a cheap drunk with few side effects, try Mountain Crest!

No comments: