Monday, April 20, 2009

Summit's Red Ale

I was out with some friends celebrating a birthday and Andy mentioned that today was the release date of Summit's new Red Ale. So afterwards, Andy, Hank and I headed over to Four Firkins for a sample. I don't think I have ever seen Four Firkins as packed as it was, which is great. The only thing I don't like about the Four Firkins is that it's not closer to me. I picked up a six pack of the Red Ale and splurged on a bottle of The Reverend (I haven't tried this one yet, but I would always drink Mephistopheles at Nate's old establishment).

According to Andy and the Summit website, the big deal with Red Ale is it's usage of a variety of hops. Four different hops to be exact: Horizon, Amarillo, Cascades and Summit. Plus a bunch of different malts too. Normally I have mixed feelings about super-hoppy beers. Sometimes I am just craving an IPA, sometimes I can't stand them. But I am really liking the Red Ale. Whereas with a lot of hop heavy beers the hop flavor is there start to finish, with the Red Ale it is much more of a hoppy aftertaste. Combined with a nice coler, smell and a regular price range, I'd give it a B+.

No comments: