Sunday, April 26, 2009

Beer-n-Crafts


Last time I did the Leine's Tour I was browsing the gift shop trying to decide between the various key chain bottle openers, when I saw the bottlecap magnets. There isn't any real description beyond that. Simply a Leinenkugel's bottlecap with a magnet glued to the back. No more no less. As I'm sure dozens have said before me, I exclaimed to Tim, "I could make that!" Many have said that, then paid for something that cost Leine's ten cents to make, but I was going to actually make some (I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Leine's selling these, they gotta make money. But it struck me that paying for them would be like going to a restaurant and paying for food that is of equal quality to what I could make at home).

So here I am. I've saved up a couple of bottlecaps (A couple of Leine ones, but a bunch of New Belgium for consistency), I bought eight magnets for $0.25 a piece at the Ax-Man around the corner, and I borrowed a glue gun from a friend. After a little trial and error I discovered that there is a little trick; you don't want the magnet to be glued too deeply into the bottlecap, otherwise the bottlecap edges will scrape your fridge door. So, start by putting a large blob of glue covering the inside of the bottlecap. Let it sit for a moment and dry a little. Put another blob on the magnet, connect the two, and let it dry. Enjoy, and wow your friends with your macho Martha Stewart skills.

No comments: